Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day to a Daddy I Never Knew

I never met him.  I wasn't allowed to speak of him and if I heard others speak of him, it was in not so good language.  I never got a chance to call him Daddy and I never got to see what it was like to be a Daddy's girl.  I never got the chance to pitch ball, catch fireflies, make snow angels with him.  I never got a chance to hear his voice, watch him shave, hold his hand.  I never got a chance to sit in his lap or have him hoist me onto his shoulders.  I never got to ride piggy back or cry in his arms when a boy hit me.  I never got a chance to call someone 'Daddy.'

That was many years ago.  I did find him through a cousin I didn't even know I had but his health turned for the worse and we never met.

But even though I have never met him, I do have a picture of him.  I will accept what life has thrown at me and remember that life doesn't always happen the way you want it to.  If you have a daddy, shower him with love and consider yourself blessed.

No comments: